Falls prevention engagement sessions
Did you know falls are the leading cause of injuries that land older adults in hospital?
Northern Health is hosting conversations across the region to learn how falls are being prevented in community.
We are reaching out to adults 65+ and their support networks to ask:
- What people are currently doing to prevent a fall
- What resources are available to help prevent falls
- The unique ways falls are prevented in your community
The information gathered will guide future falls prevention efforts in northern BC.
Register here or call 250-645-3127 (Note: Please leave your name, contact details, the community you are calling from and number of participants).
If you need any further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Northern cities and towns where the engagement sessions will be taking place.
* Light refreshments will be provided.
|Granisle||April 18, 2023||12 pm (lunch), 1 pm session begins (90 mins)||Granisle Seniors Centre, 19 Chapman St., Granisle||Yes|
|Houston||June 21, 2023||10 am session starts (90 mins)||Houston Seniors Centre, 3250 W 14th Street, Houston|
|Mackenzie||April 21, 2023||1 pm session starts (90 mins)||Mackenzie Recreation Centre, 400 Skeena Drive, Mackenzie||Yes|
|Quesnel||April 20, 2023||1 pm session starts (90 mins)||Quesnel Seniors Centre, 461 Carson Ave, Quesnel||Yes|
|Stewart||June 23, 2023||11 am session starts (90 mins)||Al Lawrence Memorial Arena, 804 Main Street, Stewart|
|Tachet/Lake Babine Nation||June 14, 2023||Elders tea at noon (12 pm) with focus group to follow (90 mins)||Tachet Admin Ballroom|
|Terrace||June 20, 2023||2 pm session starts (90 mins)||Happy Gang Seniors Centre, 3226 Kalum St, Terrace|
|Valemount||May 2, 2023||1 pm session starts (90 mins)||Valemount Seniors Hall, 1300 Main St, Valemount||Yes|
Information for the communities seen below will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
- Dawson Creek
- Fort Nelson
- Hudson’s Hope
- Prince George
- Tumbler Ridge
Posting will commence once these reports have been completed and are available.
There are many simple ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle and reduce your risk of a fall.
- Age-friendly communities - Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Fall prevention - Government of BC
- Finding Balance Canada - BC Falls and Injury Prevention Coalition (BCFIPC)
- Home safety checklist - Government of BC
- Physical activity for falls prevention - Northern Health
- Preventing falls in older adults - HealthLink BC
- Seniors - Government of BC
- Seniors' falls can be prevented - HealthLink BC
- Seniors health - Northern Health
- What you can do to prevent a fall - Government of BC
- You CAN prevent falls! - Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)