Contacts, questions and COVID-19

Due to extreme staffing shortages, significant delays may be experienced in responses to inquiries, complaints, and new applications. Inspection and investigations will be prioritized based on (potential) risk to the public. We appreciate the patience and understanding of stakeholders and community members as we work to stabilize staffing and improve services. For more information, see this related Northern Health news release (July 5, 2022)

Northern Health public health orders

Environmental health services during COVID-19

Many people have questions about environmental health services during this stressful and challenging time. Please see below for help and further resources available. Health Protection central line: 250-565-7322

For further information regarding COVID-19 please visit our Coronavirus information (COVID-19) page or visit the BC Centre for Disease Control. You can also follow them on Twitter for real-time updates.

Environmental Health Officers

The mission of Northern Health's Public Health Protection Program is to protect the health of Northern communities in British Columbia through education and inspection strategies designed to reduce health risks to the public.

Environmental Health Officers, often called Public Health Inspectors, are vital members of the community health system. They safeguard the well-being of both the public and the environment by educating people about public health issues, monitoring facilities and development, and enforcing health legislation.

Complaints and inquiries

Please note that Northern Health only responds to matters of public health; matters that affect the general public. Examples include sewage entering neighbouring properties from a failed septic system and food-borne illness outbreaks.

However, we are available to provide information and advice on issues affecting an individual and private homes such as mould or a sewage backup within your primary residence. Please contact your primary health care provider, such as your family physician, for information regarding your personal health.

Landlord tenant questions should be directed to the Residential Tenancy Branch.

To contact an environmental health office, call the Health Protection central line at 250-565-7322. The line will be answered Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm PST. On weekends and statutory holidays the calls will go directly to voicemail and will be returned during regular working hours. Alternatively, we can be reached at