Northern Health’s Safe Reporting office receives and investigates reports of possible wrongdoing by individuals associated with Northern Health (e.g. employee or contractor), in good faith and without fear of reprisal. This includes disclosures from employees covered under the Public Interest Disclosure Act.
It also provides for a consistent and administratively fair investigations process into reports of possible wrongdoing.
Safe Reporting does not take the place of Northern Health’s existing reporting and complaints structures. If possible, concerns or complaints should first be brought to local management using our contact form.
For concerns relating to:
- Restaurants, pools, tattoo establishments or other service related to environmental or public health, please contact the Environmental Health Office
- The care of a patient while in a Northern Health facility please contact the Patient Care Quality Office
- Adult abuse/neglect/self neglect please contact Adult abuse / Adult guardianship
- A licensed care facility, such as day care and residential care facilities please contact Community care licensing
- Disrespectful or discriminatory behaviour in the Northern Health workplace (for employees), please contact Respectful Workplace
Safe Reporting is for those occasional situations where an individual who wishes to report a perceived wrongdoing of a Northern Health employee or contractor, and is convinced that the normal internal process for such disclosure is inadequate or has failed to respond adequately to their concerns.
What can be reported to Safe Reporting?
Examples of wrongdoing can include:
- Illegal activity, or noncompliance with any federal or provincial laws or regulations.
- Theft, bribery, fraud, or corruption.
- Unethical or unprofessional conduct.
- Unauthorized use or misuse of public funds or resources.
- Mistreatment of, or actions posing a threat or danger to, patients, staff, the general public or the environment.
- Gross systemic mismanagement.
- Non-compliance with Northern Health policy.
How do I report to Safe Reporting?
To report a case of wrongdoing to Northern Health at any time please use one of the contact methods below. Any reporting will be treated in a confidential manner.
For more information:
- For more information about the Public Interest Disclosure Act, please refer to the BC Ombudsperson's Office.