A personal service establishment means a facility in which a person provides a service to or on the body of another person. There are a variety of personal services that range from hair services to esthetics to tattooing and more.
These types of establishments have a range of risk depending on how invasive they are to the body. Regardless of the type of service that is offered they are required to provide services in clean environments and take any measure possible to reduce the risk associated with the service.
Environmental Health Officers work with operators of personal service establishments to ensure safe practices to reduce the chance of spreading communicable diseases. For more information visit BC Ministry of Health Personal Service Establishments.
Before opening a personal service establishment, an application package (see below) must be submitted, and an inspection must be conducted by an Environmental Health Officer to ensure the processes and premises meet all the requirements.
Plans and applications should be submitted to the EHO prior to construction of the personal service establishment. If the establishment is pre-existing, plans and applications must be submitted at least one month prior to the proposed opening date to allow sufficient time for review, comment and inspection.
Submit the following application package to the Environmental Health Officer for approval:
- Application form
- Building/site plans
- Infection control practices
- Sanitation plan
If you are thinking of opening a personal service establishment contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-565-7322 and check out the provincial guidelines for personal service establishments (PDF).
- Guideline for personal service establishments (PDF) - Government of BC
- Guideline for body modification (PDF) - Government of BC
- Guidelines for laser hair removal (PDF) - Government of BC
- Laser hair removal devices: Safety guidelines for owners/operators - Government of BC
- Guidelines for floatation tanks (PDF) - Government of BC
- Guidelines for personal services offered at tradeshows (PDF) - Government of BC
- Best practice guidelines for cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of critical and semi-critical medical devices (PDF) - Government of BC
- Information for tanning salon operators (indoor tanning) - Government of BC
Have a complaint or concern?
If you have a health and safety concern or complaint about a personal service establishment, please contact your local Environmental Health Officer.