How do I find a family doctor or nurse practitioner?
If you live in Prince George:
While Northern Health does not maintain a list of doctors or nurse practitioners accepting new patients, we do offer the following suggestions for finding a family doctor or nurse practitioner in Prince George:
- Family doctors and nurse practitioners who work at Prince George Urgent and Primary Care Centre also practice in Prince George and may sometimes be able to take on unattached patients. Ask when receiving medical treatment, do not visit the clinic only to ask about finding a family doctor or nurse practitioner.
- The Prince George Division of Family Practice may also be able to provide you with information about finding a family doctor or nurse practitioner.
If you live outside of Prince George:
- Check our list of Medical Clinics. If we have one in your community, please call them for information;
- Call the Northern Health Virtual Primary and Community Care Clinic at 1-844-645-7811. The Virtual Clinic provides services to people who don’t have a family doctor or nurse practitioner or people who need care on weekends, after their health centre is closed, or are unable to travel to receive care due to seasonal weather. (You’re encouraged to call your family doctor or nurse practitioner first, or the urgent and primary care centre in your community).
- Some communities are using Pathways; you can search your community to see if there’s any doctors accepting patients.