The Office of Health and Resource Development coordinates Northern Health’s response to inquiries related to natural resource development, including liquid natural gas, oil and gas, mining and other resource extraction activities.
Office of Health and Resource Development publications
- COVID-19 testing in industrial camps: Guidance for camp operators (PDF)
- Protecting industrial camp workers, contractors, and employers working in the agricultural, forestry, and natural resource sectors during the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF)
- Health and safety during the opioid overdose emergency: Northern Health’s recommendations for industrial camps (PDF)
- Communicable disease control plan - Best management guide for industrial camps June 2017 (PDF)
- Guidance on human health risk assessment (PDF)
- Standard working group comments for environmental assessments (PDF)
- Northern Health emergency roles and responsibilities (PDF)
- Health and medical services plan best management guide for industrial camps (PDF)
- Health considerations of resource development projects for proponents and municipalities (PDF)
- Indicators for monitoring the SDOH related to resource development in Northern BC - January 2019 (PDF)
- Northern first nations caucus overview of sub-regional engagement sessions - Summary report (PDF)
- Northern first nations caucus overview of sub-regional engagement sessions - Full report (PDF)
- Summary of community toolkits (PDF)
- The social determinants of health impacts of resource extraction and development in rural and northern communities: A summary of impacts and promising practices for assessment and monitoring (PDF)
Health Impacts of Resource Extraction and Development (HIRED)
NH/HEMBC contact information
The Office of Health and Resource Development (HRD) serves as a central contact point for companies, agencies and communities. Resource Development inquiries, including questions related to health service infrastructure and capacity, environmental assessments and general consultation questions, may be directed to:
For non-urgent requests related to Emergency Response Plans, or emergency exercise planning/information please contact: HEMBC North Director, Jim Fitzpatrick, at 250-565-5584 or HEMBC@northernhealth.ca
HEMBC will notify/activate the appropriate Northern Health programs (i.e. Public Health, Acute Care, etc.) based on the nature of the event/emergency. Please include this number in industry ERPs, for the use of permit holders in contacting Northern Health on a emergency basis.
Please do not include this number on Public Awareness Pamphlets for individual projects; the EMBC/Oil and Gas Commission's emergency number(s) is more appropriate, and the HEMBC 24/7 number is on record with those agencies.