COVID-19 school information

Northern Health is committed to supporting safe schools for kindergarten to grade 12 schools (K-12) and post-secondary settings. This page offers information and resources for parents, guardians, and school staff. Explore the sections below to learn more about COVID-19 information and resources for schools.

For more health topics visit school and youth health.

Protecting children and youth from COVID-19

Immunizations help keep kids, the people around them, and their schools safe and protected from COVID-19. Any child between the age of 6 months and 17 can receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Book your child’s immunization appointment.

Visit the COVID-19 vaccine immunization clinics

BCCDC guidance

The when to get tested for COVID-19 resource or the BC Self-Assessment Tool provides more information on whether you should get a test for COVID-19. Those unsure or concerned about their symptoms should connect with a health care provider or call 8-1-1.

School information

COVID-19 vaccines

Explore these websites for information on COVID-19 vaccines:

COVID-19 vaccine for children 6 months-4 years

COVID-19 vaccine for children 5-11 years

Any child between five and 11 years old can receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Parents can register their child to be notified when to book an appointment.

COVID-19 vaccine for youth aged 12-17 years

COVID-19 vaccine for pregnancy, fertility, and breastfeeding

Reporting vaccine reactions

If you experience unexpected side effects, report them to your local health unit. Learn about expected vaccine side effects.

For parents and guardians

According to the BCCDC, students, staff, and others can take preventative actions to reduce the risk of COVID-19 and other communicable diseases in K-12 school settings. Students can attend school safely when we work together to follow Public Health recommendations:


For international travel, review the following Government of Canada resources for the most up-to-date guidance:

For school staff

This section is to support school staff, principals, and superintendents with questions and concerns about COVID-19 in school settings. For more information visit the following:

  • K-12 schools and COVID-19 - BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC)
  • Administrators and districts sector leaders can find K-12 guidance and tools to support low-risk in-person learning in schools and resources for working with parents and communities - BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC)



For more information

How to get a COVID-19 test

Mental health and emotional wellness

Visit the school and youth health page for resources and supports, under the mental health and emotional wellness section.

If you or your child is struggling or needs support with mental wellness, there are many resources available in the child and youth mental health and substance use resource guide for families.