The Cancer Care Team
The Northern Health Cancer Care Team works in partnership with your Oncologist or other Specialist to provide high quality care. We partner with BC Cancer - Prince George and other cancer centres across BC.
Your local Cancer Care Team includes:
- Chemotherapy Certified Registered Nurses
- General Practitioners in Oncology (GPO)
- GPOs are family doctors who specialize in cancer care
- A referrals is needed to see a GPO
- Nursing Unit Clerks
- Patient and Family Counsellors
Nine clinics provide cancer treatments in community hospitals in Northern Health. You can contact a Cancer Care Team member at one of the clinics listed below for information about cancer care and treatment.
- Dawson Creek: 250-795-6156
- Fort St. John: 250-261-7358
- Kitimat: 250-632-8676
- Prince Rupert: 250-622-6533
- Queen Charlotte: 250-559-4300
- Quesnel: 250-985-5632
- Smithers: 250-847-6219
- Terrace: 250-638-4036
- Vanderhoof: 250-567-6244
Telehealth services allow patients to be “seen” from a distance through a private and secure video conference appointment. Cancer patients have the option to meet with their Oncologist or other Cancer Care Team member using this service. Telehealth services are available in most Northern Health communities.
Information for patients
If you have recently been diagnosed with cancer and are looking for information, BC Cancer – Prince George (Centre for the North) has a guidebook for patients available on their website. If you’d like a copy mailed to you the BC Cancer - Prince George Library can be reached toll free (BC and Yukon patients) at 1-888-675-8001. Guidebooks are also available for other cancer centres in British Columbia.
For more information about the administrative team that supports the Chronic Disease services, see the Regional Chronic Disease Program page.
- Canadian Cancer Society Lodges: Reasonably priced accommodation in close proximity to BC Cancer Centres. Patients traveling to Prince George for cancer care often stay at the Kordyban Lodge.
- Hope Air: A Canadian charity that provides assistance with flights and accommodation for patients who need medical care far from home.
- Northern Health Connections Bus: An affordable travel service for patients needing to travel for out-of-town medical appointments in Northern BC and Vancouver.
- Travel Assistance Program (TAP BC) from the BC Ministry of Health provides a medical travel accommodation listing of properties that offer discounted rates for patients.
- Travelling to Prince George for Cancer Treatment (PDF brochure) provides travel and accommodation information for patients living in Northern BC.