1488 20th Avenue
Prince George BC V2L 0B3
Access to long-term care is through a Home Health assessment. For more information on subsidized long-term care, contact the Home Health office nearest you.
This facility does not have a website.
- Built in 2009, Gateway is a beautiful and bright building with many large open spaces and access to the outdoors to enjoy.
- Gateway is inclusive of 2 floors designated for Assisted Living Residents, 3 floors designated and inclusive of Complex Care, Respite, and Convalescent residents/clients.
- On each wing on the main floor there is an outdoor patio area that secure with paths and flower gardens.
- The second floor have balconies on each of the wings that are for the residents’ enjoyment.
- Third floor has outdoor access via elevators.
- All rooms are single occupancy with private bathrooms.
- All wings have secure entrance design.
- On each floor there is a private dining area that can be utilized by family members to have a private dining experience with their family member. This space can be booked in advance in collaboration with our Recreation Therapy Department.
- There are common dining areas, serveries, living rooms and activity rooms.
- Each wing is accommodated with a public washroom.
- There is a bathing room on each wing.
- There is the capability to do personal laundry with your family member.
- Hairdressing/barber is available in our salon on site and is a resident paid service.
- Secure outdoor patio and garden areas.
- Large multipurpose rooms for group entertainment, family gatherings, and Recreational Therapy programs.
- Weekly mini store set up and facilitated by our Recreation department for purchase of goodies and snacks for Residents.
- Handi-Dart and Taxi access to the front entrance is available.
Persons living in a long-term care home are offered spiritual support through various religious and spiritual groups. Spiritual care may be provided through group meetings, one –to-one visits, sermons and music & song.
English, honoring diversity.
The Residents’ Bill of Rights serves as the foundation for all aspects of our care and operations. Northern Health and each of our staff members are committed to protecting individuals’ rights. As a team, we recognize that every resident is entitled to individualized, quality person-centered care.
Northern Health is accredited. Accreditation is an external peer review process to assess and improve the services health care organizations provide their patients and clients based on standards of excellence set by Accreditation Canada. For more information, visit Accreditation | Northern Health.
There are 2 floors designated for assisted living residents, 3 floors designated and inclusive of complex care, respite, and convalescent residents/clients. There are 119 long term care beds and 50 assisted living beds, 1 respite and 1 short stay. All rooms are single occupancy with private bathrooms.
Residents pay 80% of their after tax income, with minimum and maximum rates set by the Ministry of Health Services. This rate covers the standard benefits provided by all long-term care homes. These costs are available on request or in the Long Term Care Home Resident and Family Handbook.
There are typical additional costs not covered by the daily rate.
- Basic furniture provided includes a bed, night table, wardrobe or dresser.
- Residents are encouraged to personalize their room by decorating it with pictures and things of importance.
- Gateway provides Recreational Therapy Services on a daily basis with therapeutic programs offered on each wing, and in larger group settings in the beautiful multipurpose rooms.
- Recreation Therapy provides activities such as hymn-sing, school visits with the elderly, choral groups.
- Seasonal celebrations such as Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day, Halloween, and Christmas is shared with all residents on site.
- There are activities off site as well, such as going to the mall, looking at Christmas lights, garden tours, etc.
We do not have space at Gateway Complex Care for motorized scooters. Residents that use motorized wheelchairs have space available in the resident’s room to store when not in use.
NH has a pet visitation policy. Pets may visit as long as immunizations are up to date, pet is well mannered, on a leash in common areas and family is responsible for cleaning up after pet. Please see our Recreation department for registration of your pet.
All Northern Health facilities are smoke free. Residents are asked to smoke outside the facility in designated areas.
- The facility has locked doors with FOB (computer chip) access only.
- Secured entry and exit to each wing.
- Resident and family provided with a swipe card for a refundable deposit at admission (unless safety concerns are noted otherwise).
- All entrances into the building are secure with a door bell or swipe card only access.
Families and loved ones are partners in care and are encouraged to visit and participate in many of the day-to-day activities.
During flu season (typically December-March) all visitors need to wear a mask in our facilities if they haven't had a flu shot.
Free parking at Gateway, where space available. Handicap parking and 15 minute drop off/pick up designated parking spots.
Gateway is located close to downtown Prince George and is within walking distance to most community amenities including convenience stores, restaurants and a pharmacy within walking distance.