SmartMom, Canada's first prenatal education program delivered by text messaging, has launched throughout northern B.C.
SmartMom, which is free of charge to women and their families, texts evidence-based messages to guide women through each week of their pregnancy, ensuring that women receive the right information and resources at the right time.
- Links to websites
- Videos on topics like fetal growth and development
- Options for screening in pregnancy
- Preparation for labour and delivery
Participants receive three messages per week and may opt for additional messaging for specific concerns, including:
- Use of tobacco
- Use of alcohol and illicit drugs
- Planning a vaginal birth after caesarean delivery
- Nutritional support and weight management
- Pregnancy loss
- First pregnancy after 35 years
- Exposure to intimate partner violence
Enroll in the program by texting "SmartMom" to 12323 or by visiting SmartMom Canada.