Hospital Auxiliaries

     
  Capital Projects  
       
     
  Green Initiatives  
       
     
  Hospital Foundations  
       
     
  Information Privacy Office  
       
     
  Leadership  
       
     
  Mission, Vision & Strategic Plan  
       
     
  Northern Health Reports  
       
     
  Partner Organizations  
       
     
  Policies  
       
     
  Position Statements Addressing Risk Factors  
       
     
  Quick Facts  
       
     
  Regional Hospital Districts  
       
 
 
     

Hospital Auxillaries

Auxiliary To University Hospital Of Northern B. C.

Auxiliary To University Hospital Of Northern B. C.For almost 100 years, since 1919 the Auxiliary to UHNBC has been an integral part of the hospital community, working hard to provide visitors, patients, physicians and staff comfort and an array of services. In the early years the Auxiliary mainly raised money for bed linen, towels and other small items.

Now close to 180 members strong, our members have 2 information desks, one found at the Emergency entrance and one at the main entrance; Host bingo and birthday teas at Jubilee Lodge; provide a library for patients and visitors; and a new service helps incoming patients with their menu selection card. We also have quilters and knitters who provide many items to pediatrics and the neonatal care unit. Our Gift Shop and Thrift Shop provide funds to purchase much needed equipment. In 2016 the Auxiliary was able to donate just over $300,000.00.

The Auxiliary work hand in hand with the Foundation, Spirit of the North and Northern Health to provide the above and more. For more information please contact us.

Website: pgauxiliary.ca


Auxiliary to the G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital (1910-2017)

107 years of continuous service!

The Ladies Auxiliary to First Quesnel Hospital
was the title given to this newly formed auxiliary, however, in 1955 when the new hospital was built it became The Auxiliary to the G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital with ;the “ladies” being dropped to make way for new male members.

There are 37 members of which 7 are inactive, therefore this small group works very hard to cover our various departments. We operate a gift shop in the hospital, provide TV service to patients, as well a “comfort” cart to the wards. We handle the recycling of bottle, cans and cartons from the hospital, service the juice/pop machine, organize and run several fund raisers throughout the year, such as bake sales, tag days, book sales, as well as handle generous donations from community groups. We require a minimum of 25 members just to cover 1 week.

During this past year we have already spent just over $100,000 on new hospital equipment. The auxiliary also annually awards a $500 bursary to a student taking further education in the north in a medical related field.


Dawson Creek & District Auxiliary

Despite a shortage of volunteers, the Dawson Creek Auxiliary continues to do great things for our community. Here are a few of our achievements in the last year.

  • ‘New Year Baby’ and ‘Mother’s Day Baby’ baskets from the Auxiliary remain a real treat at our hospital
  • We awarded two $500.00 bursaries in 2016 and have done so again in 2017
  • We held a Florence Nightingale Tea as we ‘stepped out of the box’ and had a meet and greet at the front reception area. We offered cake and tea/coffee to all who entered and also had the local radio station on site. It was a great success!

  • The following items were purchased for the hospital:
    • Specialized pumps for bed mattresses
    • Warmer cabinet for blankets
    • Ice/water dispenser for patients
    • Specialized medical/surgical bed
    • 15 washable mattresses for the Rotary Manor (our senior long-term care facility)

We are hoping in the near future to procure a computer for our Auxiliary so we can have continued communication with the rest of the NE Area auxiliaries.

President: Fran Stewart


Fort St. John Hospital Auxiliary

Fort St. John Hospital Auxiliary.The Fort St. John Hospital Auxiliary has been providing patient care services since 1932!

Who are we?

We are a non-profit volunteer organization contributing over 3000 hours of volunteer service to the Fort St. John Hospital and Peace Villa Residential Care facilities annually.

What do we do?

  • Operate the Gift Shop in the main lobby from 10-4 on week days and from 1–4 on Saturdays.
  • Own and stock the three vending machines within the Hospital with healthy snacks.
  • Manage and maintain the Memorial Rose Garden next to Peace Villa along the walking path.
  • Coordinate the Junior Volunteer Program and award two (2) $2000 bursaries annually.
  • Maintain and manage donations to the Memorial Wall located in the Cafeteria.
  • Fund raise for patient care equipment through our annual Spring Raffle.

Where have we spent your donated funds?

Through the generous support of the community, monies raised throughout the year are used to purchase everyday patient care and comfort equipment. Since moving into the new Hospital and Peace Villa on June 21, 2012 the Auxiliary has contributed over $185,000.00 to the benefit of our staff, patients, residents and their families. Some of our significant purchases include:

  • Created “Art and Healing” photographs by local artists in each of the 55- patient rooms.
  • Installed resting benches in the long hallways leading to the Surgical Intake area.
  • Purchased three (3) AIRVO 2 High Flow Humidity Oxygen units for the comfort and healing use of adults and children requiring oxygen per nasal prongs.
  • Purchased 30 over-bed tables, 12 wheelchairs and hallway benches for Peace Villa.
  • Donated $50,000.00 to the newly installed MRI unit.

For Information or to Volunteer, please contact the Auxiliary Gift Shop at 250-261-7568.


MacKenzie & District Hospital Auxiliary

The MacKenzie Auxiliary has been in operation for 46 years! We started with three volunteers!

In 2016 the Auxiliary had 18 regular members and 2 Lifetime members. During the year they had a total of 3577 volunteer hours. In order to recruit new members we hosted an information table at the MacKenzie Annual Leisure Fair and opened the Thrift Store during the Art Center’s Annual Arts and Crafts Fair, which shared the same building with us. We thought this was a great opportunity to create community awareness about the good work we do.

Some of our Thrift Shop activities included a fun night before Christmas with special discounts, draws and door prizes and a customer Appreciation Day. Our Thrift Store continues to be successful due to the hard work of our dedicated volunteers. It is a very important service in our community and is appreciated by all who benefit from it.

President: Elsie Stewart


Stuart Lake Hospital Auxiliary

The Stuart Lake Hospital Auxiliary formed on Nov 17th 1966, with our hospital opening in 1972. Throughout the years many dedicated Auxilians have kept our society active and we are respected in the community as a group who “does good”. We fundraise and handle donations from our very generous community members. They know the money will be used in a beneficial and meaningful manner.

Website: hospitalauxiliary.fortstjames.com


St John Hospital Auxiliary Society

76 years of continuous service to St John Hospital, Vanderhoof

The Sisters of Charity of Providence built St John Hospital in 1940/41. It opened as a 24-bed hospital with the Sisters and staff living on the ground floor. Fresh produce and eggs came directly from the gardens and chicken coops operated by the Sisters. Over time the area's population and hospital usage steadily increased and demands eventually outgrew what the Sisters could provide.

In September 1964 the newly formed Omineca Hospital Society took over full operation and ownership. The 'St John Hospital' name was retained out of gratitude to the Sisters. St John Hospital Auxiliary was formed in 1940 with 15 members.

September 2016 to September 2017

  • Membership totaled 16.

Follow us on Facebook with a 'like' and/or 'share'.


Wrinch Memorial Hospital Auxiliary

The Wrinch Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was formed in 1912. In the early years money was raised mainly for small items (sheets, towels, PJ's etc). Over the years, as more money gathered, we have supported the hospital with on-going equipment that is needed. Our Thrift Shop is open 4 days a week and we have a cabinet in the main hospital entrance, a sales area in the clinic and provide the "goody" cart twice a week to patients and staff.

Yearly occurrences are a yard sale, a thank you BBQ and Christmas luncheon for our volunteers & members. As with many auxiliaries, one challenge is getting new volunteers and members.

Thrift Shop Phone: 250-842-4535