Welcome to Northern Health's Tobacco Reduction page.
Tobacco is the number one cause of preventable illness and death across Northern British Columbia. Northern Health is dedicated to helping people avoid using tobacco all together, and supporting people as they quit using it.
Northern Health's Tobacco Reduction Program uses a comprehensive approach to address the high rates of tobacco use in Northern British Columbia. This strategy contains educational, clinical and regulatory elements organized into four "pillars":
- Prevention of tobacco initiation
- Protection from exposure to second hand smoke
- Cessation of tobacco use
- Enforcement of tobacco legislation
Staff who deliver NH tobacco reduction programs include:
- Tobacco Reduction Coordinators in each HSDA focus on prevention of tobacco initiation (uptake of smoking), protection from second hand smoke, and smoking cessation through community awareness, mobilization, and capacity building around the tobacco issue.
- Tobacco Enforcement Officers in each HSDA focus on enforcement of the Federal Tobacco Act and Tobacco Regulations and the Provincial Tobacco Control Act and Regulations .
- Do You Want to Quit?? We understand that quitting is hard. It often takes several tries before you stop using tobacco. Here are some resources that could help!